Plus-size? More Like My Size | Ashley Graham | TEDxBerkleeValencia

Internationally-known body activist, model and entrepreneur, Ashley Graham, describes her journey into fashion industry stardom. She doesn’t leave out any gritty details, as she describes the challenging and rewarding progression toward becoming her own role model. Inspiring body confidence in the next generation, Ashley expresses the need for the universal embrace of body diversity as beauty paradigms continue to shift.

Ashley Graham, 27, was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and discovered in a mall at the age of 12. Her natural beauty and effervescent personality led to her signing with an international modeling agency at the age of 13, launching her successful, diverse career. Ashley has worked in numerous areas of the fashion industry including editorial, catalogue, runway, commercial, television and film. Recently she stared in #CurvesinBikinis, a campaign with swimsuitsforall that made her the first plus size model to appear in an ad in Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit edition. Recently, she was one of five models included in Vogue.com’s “The Best Lingerie Comes in All Sizes” feature. As a role model and body activist, Ashley is regularly invited to speak at numerous high schools and girls’ groups about body image, self-acceptance and female empowerment.

TEDxBerkleeValencia website: http://tedxberkleevalencia.com/

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx

1. d g says:

The best model in the workd

2. Chris chris says:

A nice bit of cushion for the pushing sweet

3. dinfluence30 says:

She looks like Alicia Keys 😉

4. Ramazan D says:

She clearly has some cellulitis going on. Just saying. >_>

5. God makes no mistakes, and this applies to both believers and non-believers; you can be a staunch atheist and it doesn't change a single thing. You are beautiful to God, you are important to God, and most importantly, you are LOVED like crazy by God… just as you are:

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvelous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well. – Psalms 139:14

But now, O LORD, thou [art] our father; we [are] the clay, and thou our potter; and we all [are] the work of thy hand. – Isaiah 64:8

…"for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

See? Even the Lord God Almighty confirms that we should, indeed, never judge a book by it's cover; it truly is what's inside of our hearts and souls that counts… and don't you dare listen to the vapid, shallow, negative, jealous, spiteful, people who are hellbent on breaking your spirit. Misery loves company, as they say… but if they, the perpetually miserable, invite you to join them in their sad little pity-party of self-loathing and hate, DECLINE. Every.Time. No exceptions.

6. rich42012 says:

This chick needs to get hooked up with Ashley Judd!

7. rich42012 says:

This chick is going to be huge when she gets older!

8. Damn this chick is perfect to me 😍💎💯

9. aver797 says:

not plus size but the perfect size

10. TatianaG9602 says:

I loved this talk. You're the best Ashley!!! I feel like currently the world is more open to accept body diversity, and I love that!!! But sadly those standards are still there… It's up to us… change our minds, and realize we are beautiful just the way we are!!

11. rumie Meha says:

If she is plus size,then what am I? A blue whale🙄

12. Ipsha Gupta says:

You are really pretty!! I don't really have anyone to support me. My parents play a part in degrading my self confidence and increasing my insecurities too. so its kinda hard but I am trying. I am strong and i know that what others say or think should not matter or play any role in my life. Thank you !

13. Jordan T. says:

I'm bawling my eyes out, this is so amazing!

14. I think maybe a long, loong time ago, anything above an 8 (US) was "plus size," but I am pretty sure that nowadays, in reality, "plus size" means above a US 16. Literally anything above a 16. Which, considering, the average US woman is a 16, kinda makes sense.

15. But being overweight makes you sick and die younger 🙁

16. Daddy says:

I'd take a ride down that zipper straight to the "holey land"

17. Awesome thanks. I needed this.

18. Maria Smith says:

I always put down magazines with plus size cover models. Maybe i can't change this horrid unhealthy new direction, but at least i can send a message. Its good for the fashion industry to know that not everyone is a liberal.

19. BrittStarr says:

I love her message so much. I just posted a video talking about weight & body positivity, and I can only aspire to be as brilliant as she is <3

20. She is courageous…….but i guess, that s it s also, the advantage to have a beautiful face……..

21. Bigger women have better looking vaginas than skinny girls.

22. lefreakful says: